Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Staffing Issues

I’ve definitely worked with a lot of interesting people during my time at the home. Many staff have come and gone, but left a lasting impression on us who still work there. Sister Annie was one of the more memorable individuals who came through our door. Annie was not a nun, but she was very active in her church and wanted us to address her as sister because we were “all brothers and sisters in the Lord.” She was a middle aged woman with a kind face and gentle demeanor who always wore a fuzzy leopard print hat and carried a clear purse. It was my first year as manager and I was glad to have her on board because she seemed like she would treat the people well.

I obliged her request regarding her name until she began signing the legal documentation for the home as “Sister Annie Collins.” Then came the concerns from the other staff regarding her attempts to make the people in the home watch televised church services on Sunday mornings and the “sermons” she delivered herself to the people and staff. Religious practices take place in many group homes but the people must have a religion declared in their plan of service and their guardians have to give approval for them to participate in religious functions. This was not the case at the home I managed.

I sat down with Sister Annie to discuss and clarify these issues with her and the conversation went something like this:
“By law, there cannot be any talk of religion in this home because the people choose not to participate in religious practices,” I explained.
“But everybody needs God, honey. What harm can come from a little of God’s word?” replied Sister Annie.
“I can only respond to that by saying we can’t impose our religious beliefs upon the people who live and work here. So no watching religious based programming or reading aloud of religious materials.”
“Everybody here could benefit from having God in their lives. Like poor little Mary, she really could use help from the Lord.”
“That may or may not be, but it’s not for us to decide.”
“Well somebody needs to decide. The poor girl is in a bad way; she needs an exorcism!”
At that moment, I wished someone else was the manager. It was all I could do to keep my face from showing my shock. Was this conversation really happening?
“Well, we can’t perform exorcisms on any of the people,” was the best I could come up with for a response.
“I can, I know how to do it! I know if we just got that demon out of her, she would be as normal as you and I,” replied Sister Anne.

The conversation continued for another half hour which included her questioning my religious beliefs and accusing me of being an agent of the devil. Sister Annie didn’t stay with us very much longer after that; she wasn’t fired, she quit for her own reasons. I would have to pull her file, but I believe she wrote down as her reason for leaving that we were all going to hell and she didn’t want to go with us.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I were a fly on the wall for that conversation.

    ReplyDelete